Sunday, November 19, 2017

Two Minute Thoughts



I'm an adult now but I don't want that to mean what everyone seems to think it means. I don't want to feel that pressure on my last day of being 17, a "minor", to do crazy things or act wild and young just because my time as a child is over in a few hours. Because your childhood doesn't end in a second. It doesn't stop as the clock switches from 11:59 to 12:00 AM. Everyone's childhood ends differently. Sometimes it's a process. So my childhood may have ended a while ago, or maybe I'm still a child. 

Either way, I'm not going to put pressure on myself to do things before I'm 18. If we didn't document the exact date of my birth, nobody would notice any change in me from November 21 to November 22. It's all just a huge fuss over time. When November 22 does come, I won't suddenly be all grown up because I'm still growing and learning. I still go into giggling fits over stupid jokes. I still dream of traveling the world and writing about what I see and who I meet. I still stay up late with my friends on caffeine highs singing dumb songs. But I also feel sentimental over old memories from when I really was young. The conversations I have with people are deeper and more thoughtful and carry more meaning. I'm getting ready for college and earning money and thinking about the future. 

I think I'm in the middle of this growing up process and it won't be finished for a while. But that's ok. I'm just along for the ride.

8 comments:

  1. Super bittersweet. You are very right about the change not happening exactly after you turn 18. I'm 20 now but still feel like a child. No one really is an adult, we are just children acting like we think adults might :P I say be a child for as long as you want. (: Happy early birthday! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Thanks for reading!
      Thank you!! <33

      Delete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! *tosses confetti and waffles*

    also I love what you said here about growing up!! I FEEL THE SAME WAY A LOT OF TIMES. And it's funny how the process of becoming an "adult" is a really slow one -- and even most adults still have something of childhood in them ;)

    LIFE IS GOOD. <3 I HOPE YOUR BIRTHDAY IS AWESOME.

    rock on,
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah hope you had a awesome birthday, Abby! *cheers*

    growing up is literally the most bittersweet thing ever. I've thought about it for so many hours, and honestly I can't even wrap my mind around it most times. It's so strange, so sad, so good, and so confusing...BUT thankfully God is faithful and that's the only thing that keeps me going most of the time :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!! Isn't it? I totally agree, God is good <3

      Delete
  4. This is such a wonderful way of looking at it. I hope that you had a wonderful birthday, Abby. <3

    ReplyDelete