Friday, August 11, 2017

Two Weeks

Before I went off to my two-week college summer program, I had a handful of half-written posts I was determined to finish and post soon after I got home. Yet somehow now, they don't seem as important as I thought they were. The two weeks I spent at this amazing school in the California mountains with sketchy wifi, a big beautiful library, and the most incredible people ever seems more important to me now. 

Honestly I wasn't sure what to expect from this. I already knew I wanted to go to this school next year. I was going with some friends from school, and I thought I'd spend most of my time with them instead of branching out. Branching out sounded scary. It sounded intimidating. I mean, I was only going to know these people for two weeks--what kind of friendship can one form in two weeks? 

Apparently the best kind. 



The dorms were single-sex, and my roommate and I spent many nights up late talking. She liked to sing to herself and I liked to listen. Her aunt gave her a bunch of red roses to take with her, and she kept them on the table between our beds. She told me about home in Florida, and I pictured it in my mind. 

In the library, I sat across from a blonde girl on one of the first nights. We were supposed to be quiet, but we kept giggling for no reason. She made me an origami swan and I named him Jerry and kept him on my desk. She lived in the room across from mine, and I'd see her in the mornings with one earbud in, listening to Spanish music. 

One girl had basically my personality. We had a new inside joke every day and the laughter never stopped. Our minds were synced, and it was both creepy and amusing. We would race to the cafeteria for root beer a thousand times a day, and we talked about everything from our love of desserts to whatever was on our minds. 

I have deeper friendships with people I knew and lived with for two weeks than I do with some people I've gone to school with for years. Each one of them were so talented, unique, and interesting. And the memories I made with them will last for my lifetime. Whether it was figuring out the washing machines, studying Euclid on sugar highs, continuing our class discussions during lunch, jumping in the ponds, giving each other hennas, playing volleyball after class, or praying the rosary together, I finally discovered that in true friendships, time doesn't matter. You don't need seven years to make the best friendships. 

I had two weeks and I love these people to death. We brought each other closer to God. It really was one of the best experiences of my life. 

11 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! I'm glad you had such a wonderful experience there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, this sounds so absolutely perfect. I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad it was a lovely experience for you!

    Also, I don't believe I've commented on your blog before! I enjoyed reading back through some of your posts, and I shall be back to read future ones. :) Stay awesome, girl, and keep shining for Him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica!! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. THIS SOUNDS SO LOVELY <3 very true, some of the best friendships can blossom where you least expect them to! It sounds like you had an awesome time at this program! also this post is written is such a beautiful way it held my attention right away just saying ;)

    rock on,
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWWW THANKS LOVE!! I know, I was so surprised by how much I really enjoyed it, I didn't really have any expectation going into it.
      <33

      Delete