Monday, September 7, 2015

Only Read if You Have a Lot of Time and are Really, Very Bored.

As promised, I have some snippets from my story for y'alls. Almost a week after I promised them. I'm so good at this. 

Okay, so here are a few little mini-snippets I like. They're just a couple phrases I cooked up and put in my story and I like them. I modified a few of them a little bit to make sense for you since you're not reading the whole thing, but the general idea is there.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Her eyes were on fire, like the sky at sunset. 

Sunbeams came in through the large window, catching dust in their rays. 

Her expression was mostly blank, except for her eyes; they looked shattered. 

Moonlight washed everything in it's pale light. 

Her face was bathed in the watery glow of the moon, casting shadows under her cheekbones and turning her skin white. 

It was ornamented subtly but beautifully, with stained glass windows picturing men and women in robes with rays of light around their heads and flowers at their feet. 

On the tallest wall was the most beautiful and elaborate mural I'd ever seen, depicting angels, dozens of them, dancing around a simply clad woman, her face radiating light. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

Lot's of "her"s, I'm realizing. It's not all the same girl. 

Okay, now here are some descriptions I have of some characters. First up is Uncle Roland because he's one of my favorites: 

Uncle Roland doesn't change. I don't think time means anything to him. He always wore his ugly yellow flannel over his faded Rolling Stones t-shirt and his beard was long and dusty-looking. He even made jeans look ugly. His face was frozen in a perpetual "I-own-everything-I-see-so-don't-bother-me" look. 

I have another character named Mr. Chamberlin, and I like him because he's British and dignified and he has a cool mustache, but I didn't give him a long description and he doesn't have a very big part in the story, so I'll skip him, sadly. 

Now, Mr. Cooney: 

He was an elderly man in Bermuda shorts and a Hawaiian shirt. He was standing there at the end of the surf with a fishing pole, staring at the sea, probably watching a fishing line that was invisible to us... His face was weathered and wrinkly, and one eye was higher than the other.


Okay, now Camille Michaels, who is the mother of the main character. This was just one description of her on one day, she has many descriptions throughout the story, but I'm rather satisfied with this one, so here it is: 


She was up and dressed in jeans, a floral blouse, and socks, her hair brushed and curled, of all things, a cup of coffee in her hands. She had expertly covered her bruise with makeup so that it was barely visible if you looked closely.

That was sort of an outside description, not one of her personality. But that description of her is sort of scattered throughout the story. 

Okay, since we did Mom, we should do Dad too. 

He was rather young looking. He was a few months younger than my mom, but he looked like he was in his mid-twenties. He had a wisp of a black beard and a thin mustache, with dark curls on top of his head. He could have easily been mistaken for my older brother, even though his eyes were brown and mine were green, and my hair was blonde while his was dark. We had the same dark skin and the same annoying sarcastic hint in our sentences.


These are all outside descriptions, I guess. It's so hard to get an inside description down though, as I sort of scattered it throughout the pages. And there's so much to each of them that it's hard to put it all down. For most of my main characters, I don't really have one paragraph that captures their whole essence. You sort of get to know them as you read. So I'll just tell you about Caeli, Miette's best friend, who is a pretty big character. 

Caeli walks around in Converse high-tops and colors her hair bright colors with markers when she's bored. She's an amazing dancer and loves sea turtles. She's got a major sweet tooth. She is extremely bold and tends to do crazy things, so she's a pretty awesome best friend. 

Miette's character.... I'm not going to talk about her yet. She's so complicated, I don't even have her all figured out yet. But I love her. 

Now, on a totally unrelated topic. 

Happy Labor Day!! My siblings and I washed our cars today.Very un-Labor Day of us. 

Tomorrow's Lilian's first day of Kindergarten! 
Good luck with the next twenty years of you life, Lilian. It's not pretty when you're older. 

Tomorrow's also picture day, but I won't go into that right now because I'M TIRED AND I'VE BEEN TYPING FOR FREAKING EVER!!! 

Thank you all for reading this long and scrambled post. If you actually read it. To those who skimmed, my immediate response was to scold, but I would have skimmed too, so I really don't blame you. 
Good night, already. 
--Me 


8 comments:

  1. It's great!! You're such a good writer, you're making me want to read the whole thing now. ;) Caeli sounds super awesome, but my favorite description was Uncle Roland's. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad you like it :).
      Yeah, I like Uncle Roland too. My main character hates him, but I like him x). I think if he was my real uncle I wouldn't like him as much though.

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh do I! It's amazing!!!!!!
      The description is great; I was going to tell you my favorite sentence, but then I was like, "And that one! Oh, and that part..." XD He sounds like a really fun charrie to write about. ;)

      Delete
    3. Lol awww ;)
      Yeah he's a lot of fun. So far he hasn't had a very big part but I hope to incorporate him in the story more farther down the line.

      Delete
  2. This is amazing, Ab! I can't wait to read your novel when it's finished!!!!!!
    Oh my gosh, Lilian is growing up so quickly! I hope she had a great first day. XD
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, glad you like it!!
      IKR i can't believe she's going to be SIX in a few months!!

      Delete
  3. Abby, this is my first look at some of your book . . . and I love all that I've read here. Some really good descriptions. Makes me eager to read more. I hope you're feeling encouraged about how the book is going . . .

    xoxo, Gma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! It's slow work... But I'm hoping to be done before November.
      xoxo

      Delete