Friday, July 24, 2015

In Which I Avoid Being Negative and Instead Talk About Imaginary People.

I was going to write a post about my various medical problems because suddenly I have multiple of them. But I figured it would be better to pretend they didn't exist. At least on here. Hard to pretend they don't exist outside this blog, seeing as I can barely walk. Maybe I'll tell you about it another day, but I've already been to the hospital today and I don't feel like going into details. 
(Its not as bad as I'm making it sound.  I'm not really in a bad mood, really. I tend to stay away from blogging when I'm down because when I'm in a mood I will literally scream at anything that moves.) 

So, instead, lets sit down with some tea in my office and talk about writing. 
I've decided I have a writing office. I created it in my mind a while ago with Leslie; Floor-to-ceiling windows, a kitchen to make tea and various British and Parisian pastries (with the occasional American comfort food if I happen to have been reading a heart wrenching, sad book and break down), a couch for brainstorming on, a fireplace, tall bookshelves with a ladder that glide across the shelves on wheels, multiple laptops for writing, and papers strewn all over the place with my plot bunnies. 
I would literally live there. I would never leave. 

But okay, now that we're comfortable in my fantasy office, I want to share with you a few paragraphs of a story I started a long time ago. I just found it today. I don't want to share the whole thing because I'm a little self-conscious about it and it's kind of confusing, but I found a couple snippets that I really like, so here we go: 

---------------------------------

I stood in front of a large door with the name Mr.McCoy stenciled in gold. In my school, that name held power. Bella June, I thought. What does that name hold? The negative side of me thought, nothing. That name holds nothing. 
I didn't want to hear what the positive side of me thought. I was afraid it would agree. 
And I, Bella June, the girl whose name means nothing, stepped into the office of the man whose name, in my school, means everything. 

---------------------------------

So yeah, this Bella June character is a pretty depressed person. I'd forgotten about her over  the past year or so, or whenever I wrote this story. Here's another snippet: 

---------------------------------

I sat down in the large chair, feeling very small. Mr. McCoy smiled at me. But his smile was empty. I was just another trouble maker he was paid to talk to. 

---------------------------------

I was going through old notebooks and found this: 


Lucy is one of my characters from a while ago. I've never actually gotten around to writing her story, but she's fun to draw. 


I also found a backstory I wrote for one of my villains. And a whole conversation I wrote down once when I was at a restaurant and doing some "people-watching". (It's not spying, it's research!) 

I've been working a lot on Miette's story. I'm not exactly getting 5K a week like I said I would, but I'm definitely getting there. If I keep this up, I'll be at 30K by the time school starts, which is what I'm aiming for. 
Okay, gonna sign off now. 
--Abby

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, okay, well, you don't have to tell me, but I'm dying to know what happened... :P Poor you!
    Your fantasy office sounds utterly amazing! ;)
    I love those snippets, especially the first one! You have some awesome lines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks! I'm hoping I'll be better by tomorrow-ish, but its really not as bad as i made it sound. i mean, i can walk again, sort of, so its getting better.
    IKR I WANT IT SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks! I like them too, but the rest of the story is sort of confusing, and while i kind of like the concept, its just way to vague. otherwise i would post more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A grandmother's inquiring mind would really love more info about what took you to the hospital, Abby. Maybe you could email me? Gma

    ReplyDelete