Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Laughing gas doesn't always make you laugh

Yesterday I had oral surgery. I had this one adult tooth that wasn't coming in and so they had to cut open the roof of my mouth and get it out to where it belonged. It was quite and experience. 

To be honest, I don't remember much of it. They put me under during the procedure. I remember getting there and I remember the nurse bringing me to the room where they would do the surgery. She asked me a few questions then told me to sit down on the big chair. She leaned it all the way back and put some blankets on me. Then she showed me a mask and told me she was going to give me laughing gas through the mask. After she told me that, I started freaking out because I had heard stories of people who are given laughing gas and start laughing uncontrollably. But luckily, all it did was relax me. Then the doctor came in with a bunch of other nurses. The nurses started running around, getting everything ready. I can't even remember what the other nurses looked like, except one who was right next to me getting the tools ready. The doctor gave me a shot on my arm that was going to help me get to sleep. I remember him asking me questions like where do you go to school, are you on break, when do you go back, etc. The last thing I remember is that nurse who had been standing next to me with the tools saying, "Ok, open your mouth." 

Then everything went black and I could hear the nurse who had first led me into the room saying, "Ok, Abigail, you're all done!' I opened my eyes and the first thing I noticed was that I was hooked up to an IV pole. I was still super groggy and I don't think I really knew why it was there. I vaguely remember asking what it was, even though I very well knew what it was. I only kind of remember her answer. Then the nurse took all the blankets off and helped me over to the recovery room. I remember it was more like a hallway, with a recliner, a wheelchair, and a curtain closing everything off for privacy. I can't even remember what color the recliner was. Black, I think. Maybe brown? 

The nurse helped me into the recliner and put another blanket on me and laid the recliner back. Then she left to go get my mom. I think I may have fallen back asleep. I woke up again when I heard my mom's and the nurse's voices coming down the hall. The first thing that came to me head was, "When did my sweater get here?" I had taken it off before the surgery and it somehow was back on me at that point. Then my mom and the nurse came back and I kind of remember them talking. Then the nurse helped me into a wheelchair and brought me back to the car. I only remember bits and pieces of the wheelchair ride. I remember being wheeled down the hall and I remember getting into the car, but not much in between. 

It all feels like a dream. It's really weird, to not be able to remember most of your day. Last night I lay in bed trying to remember and thought, "This happened to me today. How can I forget all of it?" I've been in bed ever since, tracing the newly-formed lump on the roof of my mouth with my tongue. 

The weird thing is, the doctor said that while I was under, he would say things like, "Turn your head more towards me," "Lift your chin up higher," "Open your mouth wider," and I did it! While I was under! I have no recollection of doing this. Although, my head was in a different position when I woke up than when I went under... 

--Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment