Sunday, April 12, 2015

Babysitting Saga

Okay. That title sounds a little weird. But I'm not going to change it because saga is such a great word... 

(And it's sentences like that that make me sometimes question my own sanity. I mean, saga...

On Friday night, Blaze and I were picked up by my mom and dad's old friend who is in town with his wife and two kids. They were staying in a hotel nearby. The dad is really nice, and he's from London so he has an awesome British accent. At first I didn't realize he had an accent because it's not that obvious, I thought he was talking weird to be funny. But when he kept doing it, I realized oh, it's an accent. I'm glad I didn't say anything. 

So we got to the hotel. The room they were staying in was one room with two beds. So when Blaze and I put the two kids to bed (after watching Big Hero 6, which they love and would not stop talking about), we turned out all the lights and looked at each other like, now what? We had to whisper to avoid waking them up and it was too dark to see anything. 

We ended up watching Disney movies with my earbuds and eating cookies until about 1am when the parents got home. I thought the dad was going to drive us home, but when we exited the lobby, I whispered to Blaze, "Oh. We're taking a cab."

Yup. There was a cab outside waiting for us. 

...

Have you ever ridden in a random cab at 1am? 
No words. 
None. 

Oh, did I mention the candy? The cab driver gave us candy, which both of us hid in our pockets in fear of it might being poisonous. 
I had never been in a cab before, so cut me some slack okay? I was always taught as a little kid: Never accept candy from a stranger. 
I accepted it, but I didn't eat it. 

When we got home, Penguin was still awake playing video games, so we gave the candy to him. He hasn't died yet, so I'm slightly regretting not eating it. 

I didn't go to sleep until 2am. I had been hoping to sleep in the next day, but Rosie and Lilian woke me up at 8:30. Six and a half hours of sleep. 
Fun. 
So yesterday, I was like a zombie. I had McDonald's for breakfast, and then I fell asleep on the couch and slept through lunch. Then at four, I had to go to another babysitting gig. I didn't even get dressed or brush my teeth and hair until 3:45 pm. And that was only because I had to. If I didn't have to, I would've stayed how I was all day. I felt like a depressed person. 

So then I babysat another family last night, this time without Blaze. There were seven kids, but they're all super well-behaved. One girl, who was about six, was so adorable, and kept cracking me up. The first thing she said to me after her parents walk out the door was, "I wish you were a boy so I could marry you." 
Um. 
Okay. 
Then later, she came up to me and whispered, "Are you going to get married, or are you going to be a firefighter?" 
I tried not to laugh, "Um, I'm not sure if I'll get married or not, but I don't think I'm going to be a firefighter." 
She and her brother, who is seven, were trying to each me how to play this game that they like with their stuffed animals. Basically, their stuffed animals all have super powers and they beat each other up. 
I kept saying, "Well, why don't you two play and I'll watch?" I guess the girl got the impression I didn't understand. So when her brother asked if I was sure I didn't want to play, the girl said, "No she doesn't, because she's a teenager and she's slow at learning." 
The boy looked up at me and said, "Are you offended?" 
I was not. At all. I was cracking up. These kids are so cute! 

Today was my last confirmation class, and I kind of imagined that we would do something special, and there was talk of watching a movie. 
It was rather anti-climactic. 
We had an hour of prayer and adoration in the church, and then for the second hour we were dismissed to our classrooms. Because of the shortage of classrooms, my class usually spends the second hour in the church. Usually, we have our lessons in the second hour. But not today. My teacher herded us outside and let us run around for a few minutes, slightly confused about what the heck was going on, and then he came out, handed us a paper with the date and time of our confirmation in May, and then dismissed us. 
So for most of that second hour we basically hung around, a bit confused because, I mean, it's our last class ever! Shouldn't we have some sort of celebration or something? Something?? 
No? Am I the only one who thinks this? 
Okay. Awkward. 
I have to go eat now, I was an idiot and didn't eat lunch before leaving for confirmation class, so I must eat before the other kids get it all and I go without another meal. This can't be healthy for me. 
--Abby


No comments:

Post a Comment