Sunday, November 23, 2014

Gala auction

Last night was not only my birthday (I'm a big kid now guys!!!!!) but it was my school's gala. It was at the Ronald Reagan Library, which is a really cool place, if you've never been there. 

So I got there and went upstairs into the little cafeteria where the student volunteers were eating dinner before the guests arrived. Everyone wished me a happy birthday XD. I barely ate anything because I was nervous. I had never done this before and this auction is what keeps my school's doors open , so I had good reason to be nervous. Screwing important stuff up kinda comes naturally to me... 

My first task was... standing. I stood next to the wine raffle table for a looooooong time. Hour and a half, maybe? Basically, if someone comes over and wants to buy a raffle ticket I had to direct them to Erica who was walking around with the tickets. I got really tired of standing there after a while. Finally, all the tickets were sold and I (very happily) put the "sold out" sign on the table and declared, "I'm free!" 

For the rest of the night, I ran around doing other tasks, trying not to trip on my long dress, and congratulating myself for not wearing heels that night. The choir sang beautifully, and the speeches were very moving. 

Every chance I got, I would go back to the greenroom where the students were situated, kinda like a backstage dressing room, and collapse on the ground until I had to go work again. That greenroom was extremely small, especially when all twenty student volunteers were in it. 

The whole thing reminded me of a ballet performance. The greenroom was like the little dressing rooms, the stage, the fancy dresses and makeup, the chaos, running through the halls "backstage", laughing and rehearsing with the other students... It was a lot like performing the Nutcracker. I loved it a lot. It was really fun, even if it was exhausting. 

I can't wait for next year. 

--Abby

2 comments: