Thursday, August 7, 2014

In which Abby goes on and on about dancing.

So, yesterday I had aerial.

Aerial is so awesome in so many different ways. When I did ballet, we were doing the Nutcracker, and in the angel scene they brought in some aerialists. I would watch and think, wow, why am I not doing that? Shortly after, I quit and I had no idea what I wanted to do next. Then my friend said she was starting aerial, so I thought I'd try it too.
Wow, I wasn't really planning on sharing my "how I got into aerial" story when I started this post. What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that I'm sooooo glad I started aerial. Do I miss ballet? Yes. Do I miss ballet a lot? Yes. Do I miss it enough to start doing it again? Nope.
There are a lot of differences between ballet and aerial. Ballet is way more strict. The teachers are more strict, everything has to be perfect, and it's way more demanding of your time. Aerial is not like that. The teachers are pretty chill and let you go at your own pace. They don't make you do something you're not comfortable with, but they also push you to try new moves. Aerial also takes up a lot more energy, because you're using your arms and legs to hold yourself up in the air. My teacher is awesome, and works us really hard, but she's super nice.
Yesterday, we had what I call a quiet day in the air studio. A quiet day is when there's not a ton of people. In my class, there's only three kids, including me. My class is at the same time as a tumbling class, which usually has a lot of kids in it. But yesterday there was only two. Quiet days are nice, there's not a lot going on, so it's not as distracting. Everything slows down and it's more peaceful.
I always feel exhausted after an aerial class, which is good. In ballet I never got sweaty and tired. I wasn't worked as hard. In aerial I feel like I'm getting a real workout.
But I do love ballet, and I definitely miss all the performances I did. I loved getting into costume, and doing rehearsals for hour after hour. And then getting butterflies backstage right before we went on. Or stretching in the dressing rooms with the other performers. In ballet, it felt like one big family. You were friends with the other dancers, the teachers, everyone. We would even give each other Christmas gifts. I think thats what I miss most about ballet.

Ok, that was a rather long speech about dance. I think I'll sign off now.

Until next time, readers!
--Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment