Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Story time!

I think my dad is anxious for me to post a story. So, here's one I wrote a while ago when I really wanted it to rain. I'm either going to call it The Dark, Wet World or Still Me. Comment and let me know what you think! 

--------------------------------------------------

   I sat at my desk wondering what to write. The sky was dark and rain fell like silver bullets, soaking everything that wasn't protected. Thunder roared and for a quick moment, a bolt of lightning appeared, as if trying desperately to be noticed in this dark, wet world. 
   A day like this should not be waisted on homework. I got up and went downstairs. A day like this one, I thought, should be spent with a good book, a thick blanket, and a cup of tea. 
   I curled up next to the fire and wrapped myself in the thickest blanket I could find. I wrapped my fingers around the steaming mug before me and took a sip. The hot tea burned my tongue, but I didn't set it down until I absolutely could not stand the heat any longer. 
   Then, I picked up my book and opened to page one. As I read the words, my imagination took me to far away places where I went on adventures, did new things, fell in love with some characters, and despised others. 
   But in the real world, I was still on the sofa, I was still in my home, I was still me. The rain kept pounding on the roof, the wind whistling a strange tune, and the thunder, the mighty, powerful thunder, laughing loudly at me from the sky. 
   But I noticed none of this, for in my world, I was off riding pegasi, fighting villains, saving the world. My world. 
   All the while, I was still here. Still me. 

----------------------------------------------------  

*sigh* 

It's a short story, but I like it. It's a little, uh, dramatic I guess, but I love stories like this, where it's a person sitting there, thats all they're doing, but you can fill a whole page, even two, about what they feel, see, hear, smell, maybe taste, etc. etc. I love details. Details are my friends. 

So, I guess thats all for now. We're going to the beach today. Maybe I'll write another story about the beach... 

Oh, and I guessed the culprit AGAIN in another Sherlock story!! I'm on a roll. 

I will leave you with another failed attempt at art: 
"I'm siiiiiingin' in the rain!" 

For some reason, she's walking in the rain on the street. Under a street light. Which I'm proud of, by the way. It didn't turn out as horrible as I had thought it would. 

Sometimes, I pretend I can draw. 




--Abby

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this story! It was simple but really exciting to read. You're right- details ARE your friends. :)

    ReplyDelete